Roundwood Park Medical Centre prides itself in maintaining professional standards. For certain examinations during consultations an impartial observer (a “Chaperone”) may be required.
This impartial observer will be a Practice Nurse, Health Care Assistant or other trained member of the practice team who be available to reassure and raise any concerns on your behalf. If a chaperone is unavailable at the time of your consultation then your examination may be re-scheduled for another time.
You are free to decline any examination or choose an alternative examiner or chaperone. You may also request a chaperone for any examination or consultation if one is not offered to you. The GP may not undertake an examination if a chaperone is declined.
The role of a Chaperone:
- Maintains professional boundaries during intimate examinations.
- Acknowledges a patient’s vulnerability.
- Provides emotional comfort and reassurance.
- Assists in the examination.
- Assists with undressing patients, if required.