Make your choice: Choose if data from your health records is shared – Type 1 (GP) and Type 2 (National Data) Opt Outs
You can choose whether your confidential patient information is used for research and planning. To find out more visit nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters.
The national data opt-out was introduced on 25 May 2018, enabling patients to opt out from the use of their data for research or planning purposes, in line with the recommendations of the National Data Guardian in her Review of Data Security, Consent and Opt-Outs.
You do not need to do anything if you are happy about how your confidential patient information is used. You can change your choice at any time.
TYPE 1 Opt-Out: You can tell us if you do not want your confidential patient information held in your GP medical record to be used for purposes other than your individual care. This is commonly called a type 1 opt-out. We will code this on to your GP record.
TYPE 2 Opt-Out: To choose if data from your health records is shared by NHS Digital for research and planning purposes, you must visit: https://www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters/manage-your-choice/ and follow the instructions. IMPORTANT: You must make your choice via this website for your TYPE 2 (national data) Opt-Out to be correctly recorded.
There have been posts on social media with false information about opting out of sharing your data with the NHS.
Here’s what you need to know:
- There is no 30th September deadline for opting out of sharing your data. You can opt out at any time.
- NHS Digital will never sell your data.
- There are strict rules about how NHS can use your data. It’s only shared securely and safely.
- Shared data helps the NHS. It has been used to find the first treatment for coronavirus and for vaccine research.
Use this service to:
- Choose if your confidential patient information is used for research and planning
- Change or check your current choice
Patients can view or change their national data opt-out choice at any time by using the online service at www.nhs.uk/your-nhs-data-matters or by calling 0300 3035678.
More info here: https://digital.nhs.uk/about-nhs-digital/our-work/keeping-patient-data-safe/how-we-look-after-your-health-and-care-information/your-information-choices/opting-out-of-sharing-your-confidential-patient-information
- Covid Vaccine Proof for Travel
- Online Services
- Face Mask Exemption Letters
- Preconception Advice
- Local Services
- Cancer Screening
- Children’s Health
- Managing Chronic Diseases
- Men’s Health
- Minor Surgery
- NHS Health Checks
- Planning a Family
- Private Services List and Fees
- Sickness Certificates
- Supporting a Healthy Lifestyle
- Surgery Clinics
- Women’s Health